Reduced tuition for out-of-state residents

Reduced tuition for nonresidents

We offer multiple programs for students living outside of Indiana that can help save a significant amount in tuition during their academic career reducing their tuition closer to our current in-student rate.

Midwest Student Exchange Program

Participating states

IU Fort Wayne participates in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP), a multi-state tuition reciprocity program established by the Midwestern Higher Education Compact. Residents of select Midwest states with a minimum GPA of 2.75 or higher will automatically receive our Midwest Student Exchange Program Award, representing a greater than 50% reduction in nonresident tuition at IU Fort Wayne.

Participating states:

Kansas | Minnesota | Missouri | Nebraska | North Dakota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Student Excellence Awards for Illinois, Kentucky, and Michigan residents

Undergraduate residents of Illinois, Kentucky, and Michigan who are admitted to IU Fort Wayne for the fall 2022 term (or later) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 will receive our Student Excellence Award. Students will be awarded a greater than 50% reduction in nonresident tuition.

Academic eligibility for nonresident tuition reduction awards

Incoming freshmen

Incoming freshmen must have a minimum high school GPA of 2.75 for the MSEP award and a 3.0 for an Illinois, Kentucky, or Michigan Student Excellence Award upon initial enrollment to be eligible. 

Transfer students

To be eligible for the MSEP award, transfer applicants must have a cumulative 2.5 college GPA or higher from the most recent college upon initial enrollment, and a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher for Illinois, Kentucky, or Michigan Student Excellence Awards. Transfer applicants are defined as any student who has completed 12 college credit hours after high school graduation. This includes full- and part-time students, second-degree students and returning adult students.

Who is eligible for a nonresident tuition award?

To be eligible for a nonresident award, you must reside in one of the participating states and be admitted to IU Fort Wayne as an undergraduate degree-seeking student. This includes full- and part-time traditional undergraduate students, transfer students, second-degree students, and returning adult students.

You are not eligible for a nonresident tuition award if:

  • You are enrolled in an online degree program
  • You are enrolled in a dual degree program through a different university
  • You have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status
  • You are a nonresident who is eligible to receive in-state tuition

Other important information about eligibility

Nonresident tuition awards do not cover tuition costs at other IU campuses—you must be enrolled in classes on the IU Fort Wayne campus for it to be applied. For example, if you take a course at another IU campus during the summer, a nonresident tuition award does not cover the tuition cost for that course.

The award does cover:

  • Online courses taken as part of your on-campus degree program
  • Summer courses taken on the IU Fort Wayne campus
International student eligibility

If you reside in a participating state and have one of these immigration statuses, you may qualify for the MSEP award: A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, E-3, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, H-1B, H-4, I, L-1, L-2, O-1, O-3, V-1, V-2, V-3, or pending I-485 beneficiary.

How do I apply for an out-of-state tuition award?

There is no application process for nonresident tuition awards. If you live in one of the participating states, you automatically qualify for the award upon admission to IU Fort Wayne. 

Learn how to apply for admission at IU Fort Wayne