As a dental hygiene student, you learn all about how to deliver the best care to your patients. The healthcare administration track gives you the opportunity to learn about the broader health care system and the business aspects that go into care delivery.
The Healthcare Administration Track in Dental Hygiene
Why students choose the track
“I chose to complete the healthcare administration track in the dental hygiene program because I feel that it presents us with so much opportunity within our field after we begin our career.”
“I chose to complete the healthcare administration track because I wanted to have a deeper understanding of what goes into the health care system beyond my role as a dental hygienist. I think it's important to understand the broader system so we can provide better care for our patients.”
“I have always been interested in the management or administrative side of healthcare and dental care. I may go back to school someday to become a dentist and it would be important for me to have a background in administration.”
Students completing the healthcare administration track complete four courses.
- PBHL H120* Health Care Delivery in the U.S.
- PBHL H375* Management of Health Services Organizations
- PBHL H346* Organizational Behavior and HR Management in Healthcare
Choose one track elective course:
- PBHL H345* Operations Management and Quality Improvement in Health Organizations
- PBHL H305* Medical Group Management
- PBHL H432* Healthcare Marketing
- PBHL H330 Global Public Health
- PBHL H420 Health Policy
- PBHL H441 Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration
* These courses are offered online at least once per year.
Turn your healthcare administration track into a minor
By adding just one more concentration elective course in place of an open elective, dental hygiene students have the opportunity to turn their track into a Minor in Health Administration. Contact your academic advisor to declare the Minor in Health Administration.