Advanced Coursework & Transfer Credits

Learn how to get credit at IU Fort Wayne

You may be able to get credit toward your IU Fort Wayne degree for previous coursework at other institutions.

Advanced coursework

You can earn credit at IU Fort Wayne through these exams:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

If you take any of these exams and have your results sent to IU Fort Wayne, we will review your exam results and issue a transfer credit report that shows any credit you will receive for the exam.

Transcripts and transfer credit

We will help you get credit for any qualified coursework you’ve already taken that can be applied to your degree at IU Fort Wayne. In most cases, not all previous coursework will qualify for transfer or apply to your academic program.

The transfer credit evaluation process starts after you have applied and been admitted, and after our office has received your official, final transcripts. This process involves you, your academic department, and our office.

U.S. university transfer credit

We require final, official transcripts to perform a transfer credit evaluation for U.S. institutions. Documents must be sent to the Office of International Affairs at the address listed on this page.

An email will be sent to you once your credit has been posted to your account.

Non-U.S. university transfer credit

We’re here to help you get credit for qualified, equivalent coursework you’ve taken. We offer preliminary transfer credit evaluations for admitted students based on unofficial transcripts from institutions outside of the United States only.

Follow these steps to transfer credit from a non-U.S. university.

Preliminary transfer credit evaluations are not a guarantee of credit because they are based on unofficial documents. Your preliminary evaluation is for your use only and cannot be used to schedule classes, meet with an advisor, or determine progress toward a degree at IU Fort Wayne.

After you are fully admitted, your preliminary transfer credit evaluation will be sent to you via email attachment within two to three weeks. It will list the courses and number of semester hours that may be transferred to IU Fort Wayne.

In order to proceed to the next phase, official documents must be submitted to the Office of International Affairs at the address listed on this page.

Official, final transcripts must arrive in the original, unopened envelope as issued by the originating institution.

Providing a description and syllabus for each course can help with course articulation.

Learn more about required documents

Credit will be posted to your IU Fort Wayne academic record as undistributed or as articulated. You’ll receive an email once your official credit has been posted to your student account.

At orientation, set up a one-on-one meeting with your academic advisor. During this meeting, your academic advisor will advise you on:

  • How your undistributed credits could possibly be changed into specific IU Fort Wayne courses and count toward your degree requirements
  • How to work with departments outside your major to have courses articulated
  • How the classes you register for will depend upon your placement test results and on whether or not you can get your transfer credit to count for specific IU Fort Wayne courses

Be sure to bring these items to your meeting with your advisor:

  • A copy of your transcripts
  • Course descriptions as they would appear in a university prospectus or bulletin (required)
  • The syllabus for each course (very helpful)
  • Textbook title(s) and assigned chapters (very helpful)
  • Tables of contents from textbooks (helpful)

The more documentation you can provide to your advisor and the department, the easier it will be to review your previous credits for transfer.

How transfer credit is distributed

Upon review of the information you provide, each department will send a completed transfer credit distribution form to our office stating whether the course can be distributed. We will then post the course to your academic record. The evaluation can take several weeks, so start early if you need the IU Fort Wayne course posted before registration.

Courses that do not have IU Fort Wayne equivalents will remain as undistributed credits and can sometimes be used to fulfill degree electives (courses outside of your major). Check with your academic advisor to see if these courses fulfill any elective requirements.

Contact us

Do you have questions about the international application or credit transfer process? Contact IU Fort Wayne’s International Admissions Processing Center in Indianapolis.

Office of International Affairs
Education and Social Work Building, Rm. 2126
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202 USA
  • Phone: 317-274-7000
  • Fax: 317-278-2213
  • Email: