Name, Birth Date, & SSN

Update your name, date of birth, or Social Security number

We make it easy to keep the most basic information about you up to date.

Change your name

We maintain three different names for you:

  • Primary. This is your legal name according to the federal government and the state of Indiana. It’s on your academic record, transcripts, and your diploma (unless you’ve indicated a degree name).
  • Preferred. You can change this to a nickname or shortened version of your name (e.g., Cindy instead of Cynthia). It’s used in learning management systems such as Canvas, class and grade rosters, and on your student ID card.
  • Degree. This is used on your diploma only. You can request a variation of your legal name for your diploma (e.g., your middle initial rather than your full middle name).

To see your current name or to change your preferred first or middle name, use the Change Name app in One.IU. Choose “Edit” to modify your preferred name. Note that this will not update the name on your diploma or transcripts.

Your preferred last name must be the same as your primary last name. If you wish to change your last name, follow the instructions for changing your primary name.

It’s your responsibility to verify that your primary name is listed correctly, including hyphens, spaces, lower and uppercase letters, and accent marks. Your name will appear on your diploma in the same format as it appears in our records.

If your name has been legally changed or is inaccurate in our system, you can request a change. The process for changing your primary name depends on whether you are a student only or both a student and an employee. Either way, you’ll need to include legal documentation of your name, such as a copy of:

  • Your Indiana driver’s license
  • Your Social Security card
  • Your marriage certificate
  • An official court document

You’ll also need to include a photocopy of a photo ID which shows your birthdate.

If you’re a student

Fill out a request for change of primary nameYou will be required to submit a copy of your legal documentation as part of this process. Please contact the Office of the Registrar with any questions.

If you have any questions, contact the registrar services in Student Central.

If you’re a student employee

Complete and submit a personal data change form, along with a copy of legal documentation of your name, to the appropriate office listed on the form. If you have any questions, contact IUPUI Human Resources Administration at or 317.274.7617.

If you would like to change your name as it will appear on your diploma, visit the Change Name task in One.IU. Please know that all changes must meet IU's Preferred Name policy

Fix an error in your birth date

If we have your birth date incorrect, please use our secure contact form to upload an image of your birth certificate, state driver’s license, or passport. Changes generally occur within a day after we receive your request, and will appear on your official academic record.

Update your Social Security number

Is your Social Security number (SSN) missing or incorrect? You can add or update it in the SSN/educational tax credit verification area of One.IU.

If you’re unable to change your SSN, please submit a scan or photo of your Social Security card through our secure contact form.

Learn how to update your other personal information

Update other information