Late Drop/Add

Dropping or adding classes after the first week of the semester

The late drop/add period starts after the first week of classes and lasts through the automatic withdrawal (automatic W) period. To add or drop classes during this time, use eDrop/eAdd. You can track the progress of your drop/add requests via the View SIS eDocs task in One.IU.

If your eDrop/eAdd request is not approved within 14 days, the request will be canceled.

All late add requests require the approval of an academic advisor. If the class has started, the instructor’s approval is also required.

If you submit an eAdd request, your request will automatically be sent to the appropriate approvers.

If your request is approved, your class schedule will be updated and you’ll receive an email notifying you that your request was completed. Until you receive this email confirmation, you’re not officially added to the class. However, you may attend that class while you wait for approvals.

Purdue taught classes will require an additional level of analysis to ensure that these co-taught classes do not exceed maximum classroom capacity in accordance with fire marshal code/compliance. If a submitted request results in an exceeded capacity, the request will be denied.

All drop requests require the approval of an academic advisor.

If your request is approved, your class schedule will be updated and you’ll receive an email notifying you that your request was completed. You’ll remain enrolled in the class until you get this email confirmation.

You’ll get a W (withdrawn) on your transcript for any class you drop. While a grade of W doesn’t affect your GPA, be aware that a pattern of withdrawals may raise concerns about a lack of satisfactory progress toward your degree. If such a determination is made, your school may prevent you from registering and you may risk restrictions or loss of financial aid.

After the automatic W deadline, you’ll need approval from your advisor, instructor, and school’s dean.

Many schools require additional information before they’ll consider a drop this late in the semester. These requests are considered only in extraordinary circumstances beyond your control and are rarely granted.

Poor performance in a course is not considered grounds for a late drop. If a late withdrawal is granted, you’ll receive a grade of W if your work is of passing quality at the time of your withdrawal or an F if it isn’t of passing quality.

If you’re worried about your GPA, talk with your instructor to see if there are better options available, such as seeking an Incomplete

No drop requests will be processed once grade rosters are open for a term. You may need to pursue a retroactive withdrawal request by following the grade change appeal process.


If a certain enrollment status (e.g., full- or part-time) is required for reasons such as visa status or to receive VA benefits, make sure you know how a drop might affect your eligibility.

Know how your student account will be affected

Additional tuition charges may apply when you change your schedule. Be sure to talk to the Office of Student Financial Services and the Office of the Bursar to understand any effects on your financial aid or fees.

If you’re an undergraduate, dropping classes that put you below 12 credit hours or adding classes that put you above 18 credit hours can have a major effect on the amount you pay for the semester.

In extenuating circumstances, you may wish to pursue a tuition dispute. Contact the Office of the Bursar for more details.

Waiting for confirmation

Submitting a request is not a confirmation that the course has been dropped or added. After the appropriate advisor, instructor, and/or dean approves your request, you’ll get an email confirming that your request was approved and your schedule has changed. It’s your responsibility to monitor the status of your request.

Any request that hasn’t been approved or denied two weeks after you submit it will be automatically canceled.

What to know about eDrop/EAdd pair

Dropping and adding a class at the same time is called an eDrop/eAdd pair.

Explore refunds and tuition disputes