Program mission statement
The mission of the Indiana University Fort Wayne Certified Dental Assisting Program is to offer an exceptional, diverse, and inclusive educational program; prepare students to be highly skilled oral healthcare professionals; and maintain and cultivate working partnerships with the community. The program is committed to excellence in the theory and practice of dental assisting and in the development of competent, socially sensitive, and ethically responsible dental professionals.
- Develop and incorporate skills in critical thinking, interpretation, reasoning, questioning, and decision-making.
- Apply principles from basic sciences, social sciences, clinical practice, and dental technology to deliver comprehensive care to their patients.
- Practice and apply safe delivery of patient care.
- Develop competence in assessing, evaluating, planning, and treating oral conditions and diseases.
- Develop effective verbal and nonverbal interpersonal communication skills.
- Recognize good health practices and promote these ideals to others.
- Promote ethical behavior required in the practice of dentistry.
- Assume a leadership and collaborative role in the advancement of the dental assisting profession through community activities and affiliations with professional organizations.
- Recognize the need for life-long learning and professional development.