Grade Changes & Retaking Classes

What you can do if you're not happy with a grade

If you feel you’ve been graded unfairly or that you could do better in a class, you have options for trying to raise your GPA.

Retake the class

If you did poorly in a course, you may be able to take it again to remove your earlier grade from your cumulative GPA. Talk to your academic advisor to review your best grading replacement options for academic success.

If you’re eligible, they’ll advise you to fill out a grade replacement form. You’ll also need to keep the following in mind:

  • You can apply for a grade replacement for no more than 15 credits hours.
  • You can replace a grade for a given course no more than twice, and each attempt counts towards your 15-credit limit.
  • You must complete, sign, and submit the replacement form before you graduate.
  • You must be pursing your first bachelor's degree from IU.

Learn how repeating a course could affect your financial aid

Appeal your grade

In most cases, you should appeal a grade with the instructor who gave you the grade. If you can’t resolve the matter with your instructor, talk with your division head. Check your school's academic bulletin for information about the appeal process.

If you need a grade changed months or longer after the end of a semester for reasons other than instructor error, you may submit a Change of Grade Petition.