Understand FAN

How your Financial Aid Notification works

Your FAN is an important part of understanding what financial aid you're eligible to receive and how to use your awards to cover your costs as a student at IU Fort Wayne. On your FAN, you'll find detailed information about your financial aid resources and your estimated costs. The FAN isn't a bill or a statement of your student account, but it will show you how much of your costs are already covered by your financial aid. 

List of potential awards

Below are possible financial aid awards a student can receive. Eligibility is determined per award and not guaranteed. Anything listed as “Federal” is aid that is granted based on the results of the FAFSA specifically. 

The Pell Grant is free money that comes from the federal government. The amount you receive is based on your FAFSA and how many credits you take. Visit our Pell Grant page to learn more.

The FSEOG program is a Federal grant program. Our university receives an allocation from the Department of Education and eligibility is determined based on the results of the FAFSA. This is reflected as the “Federal Supplement Grant” for students who are selected as recipients at IU Fort Wayne.

When you succeed at IU Fort Wayne, we succeed. When you file the FAFSA by the April 15 state aid deadline you will be considered for the need-based IU Fort Wayne Pledge Grant. This grant represents IU Fort Wayne's commitment to your success — when you pledge to meet or exceed expectations, we pledge to support your education financially.

The IU Fort Wayne Pledge Grant is available for up to four years and ranges from $500 to $2,000 annually, based on financial need.

The Frank O'Bannon Grant is an Indiana state grant program that assists in-state students with the cost of a two-year or four-year degree. Eligibility for the grant is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. The grant may be used toward tuition and regularly assessed fees. 

The 21st Century Scholars Award is an Indiana state grant program that assists in-state students with the cost of a two-year or four-year degree. As a college student, eligibility is determined based on FAFSA results.

Learn more about the 21st Century Scholars Award

If you’re an undergraduate or graduate student and you need money to pay for your education, you may be eligible for a Federal Work-Study job. To be considered for a work-study job, you must:

  • File your FAFSA
  • Indicate an interest in Federal Work-Study

Students with exceptional financial need will be considered for work-study eligibility. Entering freshmen with Federal Pell Grant eligibility, along with sophomores, juniors, and seniors who worked in a work-study position the previous year, will be given first priority.

If you don’t initially receive a Federal Work-Study award, you can contact fwfinaid@iu.edu to learn more about your eligibility.

Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. 

To learn more about the difference and to check eligibility, please visit the student aid federal government website.

Read more